Call for Nominations: WT Aikins Awards for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
Dec 13, 2017
Please note internal Department of Medicine nomination process:
- Complete a preliminary nomination form (PDF) by Wednesday, December 13, 2017 (not all signatures need to be included, but all nominators should be identified).
- Attach a letter indicating why this individual is being nominated in the selected category. Letters that are the most helpful address the criteria for the award and present evidence supporting the nominee's excellence in those criteria.
- Submit nomination form to Christian Base by email.
- Nominations will be reviewed by the Education Awards Committee and one Departmental nomination will be submitted before the Faculty of Medicine deadline on January 22, 2018.
Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
The W. T. Aikins Awards are named after Dr. W.T. Aikins, the first Dean of the University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine after it was reorganized in 1887. These awards are the Faculty's most prestigious awards for sustained commitment to and excellence in undergraduate teaching. The Award winners are selected from nominees in a Faculty-wide process that requires support from both faculty and students. This teaching award is given serious consideration in the academic promotions process.
All faculty members are eligible for nomination for their teaching performance in the undergraduate medical (MD) program. Please note that teaching performance in Arts and Science, graduate, and post-graduate medical programs will not be considered for the Aikins award. Both faculty members and students are welcome to submit nominations. The recipients of awards will be recognized at the 16th Annual Education Achievement Event on May 9, 2018. Each award winner will receive a framed certificate and a medal. Awardees will also have their names inscribed on the plaque in the Medical Sciences Building foyer.
The award categories are:
- Individual teaching performance (small group: CBL tutoring, laboratories, clinics, electives)
- Individual teaching performance (large group: seminars, lectures)
- Development and use of innovative instructional methods
- Course/program development and coordination
(Up to four awards may be given annually between the four categories.)
All Faculty of Medicine staff are eligible to be nominated for their teaching performance in the undergraduate medical (MD) program in one of the following categories. Please note that a previous winner may be nominated for an Aikins Award in the same category as the previous award only after a lapse of five years. A previous winner may be nominated for an Aikins Award in a different category from a previous award at any time.
The minimum number of nominators required for each nomination, and who can nominate, depends on the category as follows:
- Individual Teaching Performance (PDF) – Small Group; requires 3 nominators (including at least 2 students).
- Individual Teaching Performance (PDF) – Large Group; requires at least 5 nominators (including at least 3 students).
- Development and Use of Innovative Instructional Methods (PDF); requires at least 3 nominators (including at least one student and one faculty member).
- Course/Program Development and Coordination (PDF); requires at least 3 nominators (including at least one student and one faculty member).
Previous award winners are available on the Faculty of Medicine website.
If you have any questions about the award itself, please contact:
Barbra MacDonald, Administrative Coordinator, Office of the Vice Dean, MD Program at email@example.com or 416-946-5371
If you have any questions about the Department of Medicine nomination process, please contact:
Christian Base, Administrative Assistant, Education & Teaching Awards at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-978-4499.