Educational Resources on Anti-Racism
In the Department of Medicine, we believe our commitment to anti-racism begins with education. Below is a list of resources curated by Umberin Najeeb, Faculty Lead, Equity, with assistance from the Office of Inclusion and Diversity at the Temerty Faculty of Medicine. We encourage all our faculty and learners to take some time to make use of this list and join us as we work towards deeper understanding of our history, differences, and how to achieve inclusion.
Where to start:
- Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada
- AFMC Position Paper: Joint Commitment to Action on Indigenous Health
- Cultural Safety in University Teaching and Learning
- Unsafe learning environments: Indigenous medical students’ experiences of racism
- Report of the Working Group of Experts on People of African Descent on its mission to Canada UN Human Rights Council
- Social determinants and inequities in health for Black Canadians: A Snapshot Health Canada
- Time to dismantle systemic Anti-Black Racism in medicine in Canada CMAJ
Courses and Learning Modules:
Queen’s University Faculty of Health Sciences has a series of free modules on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Teaching and Learning.
This free course "Indigenous Canada" from the University of Alberta can be taken on one's own time. It is not healthcare specific but "explores key issues facing Indigenous peoples today from a historical and critical perspective highlighting national and local Indigenous-settler relations." The course is available on the Coursera platform, you must create an account and choose the "Audit" option to participate for free.
Building the Foundations of Anti-Oppressive Healthcare - Centre for Faculty Development (2 module workshops)
The San'yas Ontario Indigenous Cultural Safety Training is a highly rated 8 week online course. The cost per participant is $300 and new courses begin every Monday.
Longer readings and books:
- Dismantling Anti-Black Racism- CAMH
- In Plain Sight: Addressing Indigenous-specific Racism and Discrimination in BC Health Care
- Indigenous Health Primer (Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario)
- Anti-Racist Health Care Practice By Elizabeth McGibbon, Josephine Etowa
- Indigenous Writes by Chelsea Vowel
- Readings on the history of anti-Asian racism and how to be an anti-racist ally, compiled by Jennifer Ho (University of Colorado Boulder)
- Key Concepts in the Study of Antisemitism by Sol Goldberg